Today I swam 16 laps – ie I made it up and down the pool 16 times in a mashup of freestyle, breaststroke, kick boarding and a survival-type stroke that’s yet to be identified.
As an aside: I am pretty sure the Newmarket Pool is actually 200m long; not the 50m it purports to be 🤔🤔. While I was recovering for an hour or so, I watched humanity converge to keep cool, and made some interesting observations I had long forgotten; I’ll call it ……
HOW KIDS INTERPRET WHAT THE MUM SAYS….
1. Don’t run on the concrete: this is basically a starter’s gun to run like an Afghani-rebel.
2. Come away from the edge of the pool: push your little sister in and see #1 above.
3. Put your rashie on before you get wet: do the kiddies version of a nudie run around the perimeter of the pool. Couple of times. Encourage mum to give chase.
4. Let me get this sunscreen on you: method-act immediately a butter-covered eel in death throes.
5. Please share the kickboard with your sister: erect an electric fence around said kickboard, and strike like a brown snake if anyone comes near it.
6. Please stay where we can see you: immediately attempt a new world record for holding your breath at the bottom of the pool.
7. Stay out of the lap lanes, those people are professionals: become a human yo yo in and out of the lap lane, only just dodging the swimmers like Maverick did with the MIG 28 in Top Gun.
8. Come and have some oranges I brought from home: scream like a banshee about needing a Calippo and possibly a Magnum Gold; stamp those teeny tiny feet and make sure real tears fall. If all fails, hold your breath, and resort again to #1 above.
9. There’s a water bubbler over there, you don’t need Fiji water: faint immediately.
10. Please don’t use that language: automatically substitute **** for duck and start a game of Duck Duck Goose. In the water. In the middle of the pool.
#pooltime #laplane #whatkidssay #kids #family #summertime #dontrun #icecream #poolside #duckduckgoose #rashie #sunscreen